Information for people arriving from Ukraine

Entering the country

The Finnish Immigration Service (Migri) provides assistance in matters related to immigration.

If you are fleeing the Russian attack on Ukraine, you can stay in Finland visa-free for three months or apply for temporary protection or asylum.

Read the guidelines and customer instructions on the Finnish Immigration Service’s website at Instructions are available in Finnish, Ukrainian, English and Russian.


If you are applying for temporary protection or asylum, you can stay at a reception centre. You can also arrange your own accommodation. More information on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service:

Living in a reception centre (in English)
Living in private accommodation (in English)
Customer instructions (In Finnish, Ukrainian, English, Russian)

You can enquire about the rental apartments of the City of Lappeenranta from Lappeenrannan Asuntopalvelu Oy, whose website has information in Finnish and English.

Social, health care and immigration services

The right to social and health care services is determined by the status of the person residing in Finland. This status can be temporary protection, asylum seeker, person who has come to Finland with a biometric passport, or applicant for a residence permit on the basis of work.

The Social and Health Care District of South Karelia (Eksote) is responsible for municipal social and health care services as well as immigration services provided in Lappeenranta and the entire region of South Karelia. Read the information package on social and health care services for people arriving from Ukraine on Eksote’s website (in Finnish). Eksote’s website also has general service guidance information in English and Russian.

In the event of a serious, life-threatening illness or accident, always call the general emergency number 112. There is no charge for making an emergency call. Instructions for calling the emergency number in different languages on the website of the Emergency Response Centre Agency.


In Finland, the Social Insurance Institution (Kela) is responsible for granting basic income support, and its website provides information on Kela benefits and basic social assistance:

How the war in Ukraine affects the benefits available from Kela (
Effects of the war in Ukraine on basic social assistance (

In English: How the war in Ukraine affects the benefits available from Kela (
In English: Social security rights of persons arriving in Finland in the wake of the situation in Ukraine (
In Ukrainian: Права на соціальне забезпечення осіб, які прибувають до Фінляндії у зв'язку з поточною ситуацією в Україні
In Russian: Права на социальное обеспечение лиц, прибывающих в Финляндию в связи с текущей ситуацией в Украине


As an asylum seeker, you can take up gainful employment three or six months after applying for asylum. If you have been granted a residence permit on the basis of temporary protection, you immediately have the right to work. If you are staying in Finland visa-free, you can work in certain roles.

More information on work is available on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service (in Finnish and Ukrainian).

Early childhood education

Parents of children under school age have a statutory right to choose between the following options for arranging child care:

  • caring for children at home;
  • early childhood education organised by the municipality; or
  • early childhood education with private child care allowance or service voucher.

The service counsellor for early childhood education provides parents with information on all early childhood education services organised by the City of Lappeenranta and offers more detailed advice on applying for early childhood education services.

The service counsellor’s languages of service are Finnish and English. The service counsellor can be contacted either by phone or email:
tel. +358 40 621 2488, palveluohjausvaka(at)

Basic education and preparatory education

Enrolment of Ukrainian children in school/preparatory education

  • School enrolment takes place at the Customer Service Centre Winkki at the City Hall (Villimiehenkatu 1, 1st floor by the main doors)
  • The enrolment is generally done by the child’s guardian.
  • Passport or other proof of identity is required for enrolment, if available. If not available, a certificate of application for temporary protection is required so that the name of the child and the guardian can be recorded in the same way as in the application.
  • At Winkki, you will complete a form asking for basic information about the child and guardians for school. The form has been translated into English, Ukrainian and Russian. Winkki employees speak Finnish and English.
  • The information will be sent to the child’s future school. The principal or a teacher will contact the guardian or contact person about starting school once the preparations have been made.
  • Preparatory education for basic education is arranged at Joutseno School (grades 1–9) as well as at the Skinnarila branch (grades 1–6) and the upper comprehensive branch (grades 7–9) of Sammonlahti School. The child is referred to the school closest to his or her place of residence.
  • Free school transport is provided if the distance to school is over 5 kilometres (bus pass or school taxi). The school will give instructions on transports if needed.
  • Compulsory education only applies to children who have an official municipality of residence in Finland. People who have been granted a residence permit on the basis of temporary protection do not have a municipality of residence, so they are not subject to compulsory education. Therefore, families can decide for themselves whether or not to send children to school. The situation changes if the person is assigned a municipality of residence at some point.

Holders of a Ukrainian passport travel free of charge on Lappeenranta public transport until further notice

The City of Lappeenranta wants to express its support for the Ukrainians who have been forced to leave their homes because of the war.

For the time being, Ukrainian citizens can use a valid Ukrainian passport or other suitable document for travel on public transport in Lappeenranta, no other ticket is required.

The right to travel applies to local public transport lines 1–47, to service lines P1 and P3 and to commuter lines 110–610.

Ukrainians also have the right to travel for free on lines 100 and 101 between Lappeenranta and Imatra. 

Further information:

Terhi Koski, Public Transport Manager
tel. +358 40 651 5599, terhi.koski(at)


Finland is complying with the European Commission’s request and allows the pets of refugees to enter the country with their owner even if the pet does not meet the entry conditions. However, pet owners must register with their pet at Finnish Customs when crossing the border.

After that, pet owners must contact a local veterinarian within three days. Contact a veterinarian even if you have not been able to register your pet at the border station. A veterinary check related to a pet’s entry conditions is free of charge for Ukrainian pet owners.

Before taking your pet to a veterinary clinic, schedule an appointment with the clinic.

Veterinary appointments can be made, for example, at a municipal veterinary clinic. The contact information and telephone numbers of municipal veterinarians in the Lappeenranta region are provided on the website of the City of Lappeenranta (in English).

Read more about the instructions for importing pets on the Finnish Food Authority’s website (in Finnish, English, Ukrainian and Russian). The instructions contain information on the entry requirements for pets.